Thursday, October 2, 2008

Can Pop Culture Bring Parents & Kids together?


If someone had asked me three years ago whether or not i thought pop culture could make my parents and I closer, i would have told them they were crazy. I had always thought of my parents as too old and too mature to really relate to me in terms anything that was entertainment related. Whether it be music, magazines or movies i had never even really considered the fact that my parents might like the same things as me. But a funny thing happened once i got into my senior year of high school. I had a lot of free time on my hands because i wasn't taking very hard classes, and I never really had that much homework to do. So instead of sitting at my desk all night I could finally just hang out in the living room and watch movies or tv.

I can distinctly remember one night when I decided to watch Wedding Crashers, my dad came into the room and asked me what i was watching. I told him, "it's called Wedding Crashers up you probably wouldn't like it". But he sat down anyway and before long we were both cracking up. I almost couldn't believe it at first because i thought there was no way he would find some of the dirty jokes and such funny. But there we were in the living room laughing our asses off watching a movie together. This was amazing to me because normally the only time we sat down in the living room to watch tv together it was always sports or the history channel. I guess i had to grow up a little before my dad found it ok to joke around with me about stuff that my mom would find appalling, but it eventually became a regular thing that we did together. So even if you think your parents are old as hell it might not hurt to remember the fact that they were just as young and immature as you once. You might have a lot more in common then you know.

1 comment:

rcaustin said...

Just reading this blog got me thinking how awkward it would be to watch Wedding Crashers with a parent. However the blog points out a very good point- Parents were once teenagers too! Hard to believe but they did the same things we did, and probably joked about the same dirty jokes that we do. So you may find it a bit awkward at first, but if you can get by that you will find that pop culture is a good way to bring kids and parents together. Parents always want to know what is going on with their kids, what is cool and popular. Although sometimes they may be embarrassing when they try to listen to your music or use your slang, they are really just trying to connect with you. For example, my mom is my cheerleading coach, and I used to get embarrassed when she would talk about rap music or attempt to dance at practice. After a while though it just became funny and now I think my mom is really cool because she takes interest in things I like. So give your parents a break and take a little time to connect with them by introducing them to a new cool movie or your favorite new song.