Sunday, September 21, 2008

Concerts


If you have ever been to a big concert of any kind I'm sure you could agree that there are few better ways to have a great time and meet new people then by attending one. Going to a concert is an over all great experience, and is yet another solid example of how pop culture can bring all kinds of people together. Take for example my experience at the Kenny Chesney concert last year. It was scheduled to start at 7:00 on Friday night, and my friends and i all wanted to go, but we knew there was no way any of us were going to be able to go up to Merriweather Post Pavilion together and still be able to operate any kind of motorized vehicle on the way back. So we decided to improvise by planning on renting a bus to take us there and back. However, this was going to be very expensive and we couldn't afford it by ourselves. To fix this we decided to put the word out to other kids who went to other schools around the same area as my high school. Some of them we knew pretty well, others we didn't know at all, but we finally got enough people together to pay for the bus so that it wasn't too expensive. So on the night of the concert we all met at a parking lot in the middle of our home town and piled into bus for our hour long trip.

At first it was a little bit awkward between me and the people i knew and the ones I didn't, but it didn't take long before people who were once complete strangers to start talking about how sick this concert was going to be and how much fun this drunken bus ride was. I met a ton of kids that i had never known before and made some great friends that i still keep in touch with today. So to make a long story short, we got to the concert, had an amazing time, and cruised back home with about thirty new friends each. And this may sound stupid but if you ever get a chance to go to a big concert, rent a party bus and fill it with booze and new people outside your own circle of friends. I bet you'll have a sweet time.

1 comment:

Katie said...

That sounds really fun! Riding on a bus with thirty strangers for an hour does sound like it would be awkward though, at least at first. Anyway, I agree that going to a concert is an excellent way to meet new and interesting people. It’s impossible to NOT find someone who’s just a cool person to hang out with, especially since you share the same taste in music! I didn’t take an awesome drunken bus ride to a concert, but I did meet some interesting people when I got there. For example, I met a guy who is a friend of one of the bands that was playing that night. He told me about how much he loved the music and a little about the members of the band. This was great because I was very interested in the band that he was talking about and it gave us something to talk about between songs. I also met a couple of girls from Virginia Tech, who were hilariously drunk but still pretty nice. So thanks to the concert, I met some new friends with common interests and had a great time.